Vent Van - Longford Engineering
In 1940 fishmongers Charles & Frank Purley, fed up with the high cost of ice, developed a refrigeration system to keep their fresh fish chilled in their North Bersted shop. In 1942 it became the Longford Engineering Company, later shrtened to LEC. In 1946 it moved to Shripney Road near the Gasworks where it had a rail siding and an airfield for exports. In 1969 it took over the gasworks site and finally moved to Liverpool in 2007. The factory site is now a Sainsbury's store.
We Also Recommend